(September 15 – 18, 2020)
Due to the pandemic, the CBD meetings have been delayed for SBSTTA-24 and SBI-3 . To accommodate discussions a week of virtual sessions was being organized to facilitate preparations for the meetings of the subsidiary bodies to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
The sessions also seeked to help maintain momentum ahead of the UN Summit on Biodiversity scheduled to take place during the 75th UNGA on September 30 and towards the UN Biodiversity Conference (COP 15).
The virtual events included:
- Launch of the fifth edition of the Global Biodiversity Outlook (Special Session of SBSTTA), 15 September;
- Testing of a Party-Led Review Process, through an Open-Ended Forum (Special Session of SBI), 16 and 17 September;
- Launch of the second edition of the Local Biodiversity Outlook, 16 September
- Strategy for Resource Mobilization (Special session of SBI), 17 September; and
- Preparation of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (Special Joint Session of SBSTTA and SBI), 18 September.
The sessions provided opportunities for the presentation of information and for statements by Parties and observers.
The CBD Women Caucus delivered Statements for GBO-5, Resource Mobilisation and reflection on the updated Zero Draft of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework. No decisions or formal recommendations will be made at the special sessions. Interpretation will be provided in all UN languages.